Monday, June 8, 2009

Robbinsdale Icons

Here is something that I have been wanting to do for some time.
I live in Robbinsdale and I wanted do a painting of Robbinsdale that could be immediately identifiable as Robbinsdale. Sure there is a lake, downtown, parks etc. but to be really identified as Robbinsdale I had to have some sort of Icon(s) or fixtures that could only be found in Robbinsdale.

After looking about town it became obvious, the tall church steeple of Sacred Heart Church and the water tower that has been here as long as the town itself. I also wanted to tie in the many parks, lakes and baseball diamonds that make up the community without having to paint them in somehow. So I added the green grass in the foreground to signify parks. Painting an interesting view was next. To make the painting convey a feeling that while you have been walking you are now coming up to the crest of a hill and the first things you see are a church steeple and a water tower. You are tired, you need a rest and the day is almost done. Home is over the next hill. That was my intent anyway, I will have to see what the people of Robbinsdale say about it. Prints and the original are for sale. The original is 4'x4' and the colors in this post do not do the painting justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment